Saturday, January 12, 2008

WARNING Garlic can be hazardous to your dog


This is Rusty and Peanut our little min-pins They think their big just like our Rottweilers
I've given my dogs powdered garlic for years and fresh garlic in their food to enhance their health and deter fleas and its worked most of the time. I always thought I was doing good for them until now when I found an article on www.petsbynature.com by Laura Murphy about the dangers of garlic. So I went on line and found more articles about garlic and studies that made me think. So I want to share this with you and let you decide what you think is best for your dog.
Its been thought for a long time that garlic provides many healthy benefits. When fed regularly it stimulates white blood cells, prevents tumors,decrease blood cholesterol. Vets have suggested to us for years to use garlic as treatment for allergies, asthma, diabetes, cancer,infections, intestinal parasites, and kidney desease also for natural control of fleas and parasite repellent. Now with that kind of review wouldn't you add it to you pets diet? Of course you would.
Now lets look at the new studies on garlic.
Garlic is part of the onion family along with leeks and shallots. research indicates onions can be harmful, if not deadly to our pets. More and more studies are being done on garlic and all indicate that it to can pose serious health risks when fed to cats and dogs. It is indicated that its toxic when given in excessive amounts. The problem is what is excessive amounts how do you judge that. Unfortunately no one knows what excessive amounts really is.
Garlic is used as flavor enhancers in food. This enhancer can cause Heinz body anemia, resulting in a break down of the red blood cells and anemia, studies indicate garlic shouldn't be fed to dogs.
The effects of garlic include vomiting, diarrhea, anemia, tachycardia "irregular heart beat" weakness, liver damage, allergic reactions,asthmatic attacks, contact dermatitis, and gastrointestinal damage.
There are many forms of garlic fresh raw, cooked,dryed, oil of garlic all are a serious risk.The bulbs, bublets, flowers, and stems are all poisonous
Many over the counter dog foods have garlic in them If you feel you don't want to feed your dog garlic you will have to check ingredient labels before purchasing.
The entire article can be viewed at www.petsbynature.com and thank-you Laura for allowing me to use parts of your article in my blog.
I don't know about you but I've decided to quit using garlic for my dogs because no one knows exact amounts that will cause illness to my dogs Its not worth the risk for me to possibly harm my dogs What do you think?

No comments: