Friday, January 11, 2008

Warning Flea Control can be Dangerous

I don't know about you but I've tryed all kinds of flea control from store bought to vet bought to natural control to spraying my yard. Fleas and ticks are an on going battle.
What I didn't know was theres a difference in store over the counter flea control and what your vet sells you.
Products like advantage and Frontline are topical flea control products sold by vets.
Pet supply stores and grocery stores sell numerous"look alike"products.
Each product is sold in packages of several tubes that contain indivitual doses to be applied to the dog's skin. It is reapplied every one to three months. Although the packaging and labeling is similiar the products are definitely different.
Advantage and Frontline contain a solution that remains topical and kills fleas that contact the skin. These two products interrupt nerve transmission in the fleas "short circuiting" their nervous system, causing death. The nervous system of the animal is not effected.
The products sold at pet-supply and grocery stores contain concentrated doses of insecticides similiar to those found in many flea sprays, dips, and shampoos. These insecticides not only kill fleas but also affect the nervous systems of our pets, our children and ourselves. Toxic reactions to these products can be serious.
I watch children and have for 25 years and I've always had dogs .It worries me that I may have used products on my dogs that could have hurt those children. Because the kids were always hugging and wrestling with my dogs. They could have been affected.
If you have children or even for yourself its something to think about.
I have found some all natural flea controls and will share them with you in up coming blogs

Good sites for dogs and information
www.ambassedorrottweilers.com
www.petsbynature.com
www.vonsederhausrotts.com
www.thedogfoodconspiracy.org

No comments: